Rabu, Januari 14, 2009

Fernando Torres Unsure About Fitness Ahead Of Everton Clashes


Fernando Torres missed the bulk of Liverpool's festive schedule with a troublesome hamstring injury. The Reds did well to remain at the Premier League summit without him but could really do with having their star forward back to his best for the run-in.

Rafael Benitez's troops are preparing for a crunch double-header with Merseyside rivals Everton, who have been in decent form of late. The league and FA Cup matches would be the perfect stage for the Spanish hitman to announce his return to prominence after a stop-start half-season.

However, the striker has doubts about his own fitness and has admitted that he might not start either game.

He told the Liverpool Daily Post: "Of course I want to be in the first eleven... I just don't know if I can play 90 minutes yet.

"For sure, though, I can be in the squad. I feel much better.

"I hope to come back to play in the first team as soon as possible. Then I can forget the injuries and start to play again for Liverpool, who are in a very good position this year."

Trying to explain his sudden injury crisis, he added: "I didn't do pre-season properly after the Euros. The season started too soon and it's difficult when you have to play three games a week.

"Now I want to stay a perfect 100% and not get injured again."
Greg Ptolomey